Ever get stuck trying to figure out what to write about for your blog?
Google constantly searches for fresh content and, if you don’t offer the high-quality content they’re looking for, you’ll never improve your ranking (and you’ll lose out on a lot of visitors to your website).
Now, you have to remember it takes time to build your blog and rank on Google, but that’s OK. Everyone who’s successful online has started at the same place. Today, I’m going to give you one of my favorite tips for figuring out what to blog about. In fact, this tip is not just my favorite tip – it’s also a favorite for the clients I work with when I’m coaching them on how to build their business online.
Here are 3 simple steps to help you develop a list of subjects for blogging, making podcasts, or for developing webinars.
My strategy to attack blogging:
- Take out a blank piece of paper (yes, real paper!), and at the top write out your Umbrella Topic: the primary topic you’ll focus on the most in your writing and your business. For example, my Umbrella Topic is “Online Business Development.”
- Beneath that, list seven Category Topics: main subjects that fit under your Umbrella Topic. Further examples under Online Business Development for me would be: Websites and how important they are; Branding your business; List Building, or building your email list; Content Development, to help you create fresh content; Social Media, as a way to build relationships and increase traffic; and finally Product Launches, and Monetizing your Business.
- Last, under each of your Category Topics, create a list of 10-20 Sub-Topics for each category. For example, under the Category “Social Media” you could easily write blog posts about the different social networks and their differences; steps to improve engagement; using social media to improve branding; how often to post, which days are best for posting, and what times of day to post. Truly, the list is almost endless!
Once you’ve completed your list, you’ll have an assortment of 60-120 topics to write about whenever you sit down to write a new blog post – which you should be doing AT LEAST once a week – without fail! (Remember, the more you do anything the faster you will see results with it.)
How to Structure Your Blog Posts
Once you’ve decided which topic from the list you’re going to write about, here are a few things to remember to make your post as effective as possible:
- You’ll need a compelling title, such as “7 Tips for Successful…”
- Write a gripping introduction that will grab your reader’s attention and keep them reading.
- List your 7 tips prominently, as a bulleted list or a numbered list. More and more people will want to read easy-to-digest content so keep this in mind and ditch those long paragraphs of text!
- A call to action compelling your audience to opt-in, comment, or buy! Remember, the point of your blog is to increase engagement, leads, and sales.
Now that you’ve created this list, you’ll have a great variety of subjects to write about for your blog (and to use on videos, social media, or email marketing). And, any time you feel writer’s block coming in, all you have to do is refer to this content outline for more awesome subject ideas. How easy is that?
There is SO much more I can share with you about how to improve your content marketing strategy – not only to make it easier for you but also to get the best return for your time… so from here, you have two options:
- Sign up for my email list (top right sidebar, blue box) and you can see how I structure MY emails, how I connect, how I sell, and how I get results. You’ll also receive my FREE 8-video series, The 7 Deadliest Mistakes You’re Making on Your Website.
- Get in touch with me today and apply for a complimentary 45-minute strategy session. This is where I can take a deep dive into your business, struggles, and goals, and together we’ll make a plan of action you’re not only excited about, but one that pushes your business forward. Then, I’ll get to work on your behalf, supporting you and your efforts in every way I can!